10 November 2013

November greens and roots

A visit to the allotment in the afternoon sunshine to collect some veg.Last night's first heavy frost of the Autumn has knocked back the vegetation on the Jerusalem artichokes but not the serrated stems of the Globe variety.

The "greens" that I cut were multi coloured and include Cavolo Nero,Red Ursa and Scarlet kales,green and orange chard , radicchio and flat leaf parsley.

I lifted the first of the Jerusalem artichokes as well as a few more parsnips and leeks. While looking for a suitable pot to park a Bee Balm plant that was being smothered by the globe artichokes, I "rediscovered" the Harlequin carrots which have been grown high in pots to avoid carrot root fly. Quite a decent crop from the contents of one pot so far.The yellow ones seem to be the cleanest roots.




7 comments:

Sue Garrett said...

A colourful selection, We grew Jerusalem artichokes years ago but dug them all up when they became invasive so watch them!

Rooko said...

Nice looking veggies, colourful too. I think I will have to add some variety to my Carrots next season.

Peggy said...

fantastic array of colours, I could see children loving these on their dinner plates, I am definitely going to look for some seeds for next year!

David Shinn said...

Hi Sue,
yes ,when I dug up the root there didn't seem to be many tubers, so more may be lurking in the soil.The patch is in a bottom corner of the plot so may be ok as "perennial" but not sure if they get diseased left in one place?
Lovely flavour though,great in soups.

David Shinn said...

Hi Rooko,
I'll look around to see what the yellow ones are as they seem to be the best.

David Shinn said...

Hi Peggy,
Unlike some colourful veg which disappoint with flavour (eg Bright Lights chard,no match for the larger single varieties) ,these carrots are very good.
I did try one a couple of months ago and it was bland,but they seem to have matured now.

Jono / Real Men Sow said...

Love these David, they're beautiful! Will definitely be giving them a go next year.

I know what you mean about Bright Lights, disappointed me too. And the purple kale - didn't think that was anything near as good as the proper green stuff.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...