13 October 2013

October harvest

I've just returned to a good harvest from the plot having been to Mallorca for eleven days.

The Trombone courgettes have done well ,especially where they can scramble up the fence or bean supports and they've been cropping all summer.I cut most of the remaining ones and also collected more of the garlic and shallots that I've been drying off in our communal greenhouse.


Some of the chard is now bolting but at this stage it produces lots of tender leaves and florets that can be used in salads or cooked like spinach.The row of peppery leaves that I sowed in April is still cropping with various types of rocket,red dandelion and coriander and I also found some spring onions and late sown radish to add to the salad bowl.


This year I grew Cherokee beans for the first time.Earlier in the summer I was picking a few as tender young beans but found the texture and flavour improved as they "beaned up" a little but were still all green coloured. I then left the rest to grow on as shell beans but before I went away had my doubts on whether they'd do this before Autumn fully took hold. Before I flew home on Friday I saw dried borlotti beans on the vegetable stalls in Palma market and when I got back was pleased to find that my beans were at a similar stage drying on their vines.A six foot long double row has produced half a carrier full bag of beans.                                

There should be some colourful shots of market displays at the end of my Mallorca trip photos which I'll link into my blog after editing.

2 comments:

Sue Garrett said...

The weather has suddenly turned yukky here so we are ticked up inside but had a major harvest last week.

Rooko said...

Nice October harvest. I've had some nice Chard this year. Lets hope the really cold weather holds off for a while longer.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...