23 March 2013

Madeira photos

Here's the album link to the photos from my recent trip ( 8th to 18th March).

Funchal old town
I spent the first few nights in Funchal , using the buses to get to the start and back from the finish of through walks in the mountains.Some of the routes in the central mountains have only reopened fairly recently ,after the 2010 floods and forest fires ,so it was good to get out and do them.

On the path east from Encumeada
 After this I stayed in Ponta Delgada on the north coast which has fewer overnight visitors than the south. Found a really good reasonably priced studio apartment at Casa da Capelinha,with hardly anyone else staying there. The Rodoeste bus service is quite good on this stretch of coast between Sao Vincente and Boaventura and a great help to the start/finish point of local walks.

Coastal mountains from old path back from Boaventura to Ponta Delgada



 After walking back over to the south coast from Encumeada I spent the last few nights in Ponta do Sol, although there was not much sol, so levada walks were a better bet than mountains as even in the mist there's always something to see at close hand and the vegetable growing and flowers are always fascinating.



























1 comment:

Roger Brook - No Dig Gardener said...

You make me feel quite nostalgic about my own visit to Funchal which I blogged about in January. What a fantastic fall away from that levada! You were braver than I was. Those potatoes you show were just being planted when I was there,

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...