8 December 2012

December salads and greens

Went over to the allotment this morning having been away walking on La Gomera and Tenerife for the last fortnight. From the weather reports I'd expected more signs of frost damage than I found.
Glad that I didn't dig in the rocket and other leaves before I went away as there's still a good crop to be had.

Winter leaves mix
Endives

Californian mix
 
Washed leaves
Also cut another head of Cavolo Nero, some green chard and dug up a couple more parsnips.


I,ll mix these greens in with the purple sprouting broccoli still in the fridge from before I went away.
Took a few more shots of the plot and the site in general for the annals,including the new rows of summer raspberries that I managed to plant in the sea of mud about a month ago.

Glen Ample,Magna & Leo canes.Space between the rows will house strawberry containers next spring


I'll  be posting up my Canaries photos after a bit of editing.




4 comments:

Sue Garrett said...

Your soil looks like ours muddy and soggy.

We have Glen Ample and ours cropped really well this year as well as being very tasty!

David Shinn said...

Yes Sue,the other side of the Pennines but the same mud bath.
Anything I plant in the bottom half of the plot has to learn to swim! I did grow some very good radishes that were virtually sitting in water between the lumps of clay and the dwarf french beans seemed happy enough. Trying to improve it by adding a more or less endless supply of free Iceland pony manure but might need some other bulking up material as well.
The top half has less clay and almost seems light soil by contrast.

David Shinn said...

The ponies are Icelandic and not from the frozen food shop.

Mark Willis said...

Just wanted to wish you all the best for Christmas, and here's hoping that 2013 will be a better year for gardeners!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...