2 July 2012

Cutting cavolo nero

Buoyed up with my successful potato dig yesterday I cut some leaves from my now rapidly growing cavolo nero "black cabbage" today as some of them are now developing a distinctive bubbly surface.



I cooked them down in olive oil with onions and garlic ,added in some left over mince and puy lentils , and had the dish with some more of the purple skinned potatoes , fresh mint and butter ... yum.
Must say I much preferred it to the kale that I tried yesterday which although only small leaves was fairly chewy. The cavolo cooks down more like spinach and chard ,which is very ok by me.


2 comments:

elaine said...

My Cavolo Nero last year, was quite frankly,a disaster. This year looks a little more hopeful not quite ready for cutting yet.

Rooko said...

I've got to get some of these for next year. I was given some cabbage plants last year a few of which turned out to be Cavolo Nero, they were excellent, grew well with no diseases or insect damage.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...